Beam Window Functions
The beam window function relates, over the full sky or over a masked sky, the angular power spectrum measured (in the absence of noise) on a map produced by a set of detectors CMB)., to the true underlying sky angular power spectrum (assumed to have isotropic statistical properties, as is the case for the
- 1 QuickPol effective beam window products
- 2 Availability
- 3 FITS parsing
- 4 References
QuickPol effective beam window products
The effective beam products are defined for each multipole.
They are available in three forms:
Temperature beam window functions for polarized and unpolarized detectors (HFI PSB and SWB)
The temperature beam window function
where is the pixel window function, parameterized by the HEALPix resolution parameter (=2048 for Planck HFI maps).
Their availability is described in the Availability section
Temperature and polarized beam window functions for polarized detectors (HFI PSB)
The temperature and polarization beam window functions
for X=T, E or B, and where is defined above.
Their availability is described in the Availability section
- These polarized and unpolarized effective beam window functions are provided in FITS format files
compatible with HEALPix tools for map synthesis (such as
or map smoothing (such as
smoothing_cxx), as well as with map analysis tools such as PolSpice.
Beam matrices for polarized detectors
The beam matrices
for X,Y,X',Y'= T, E or B, and where is defined above.
The non-diagonal terms of the matrix (CMB polarization, which is done mostly at 100, 143 and 217GHz for HFI.), not present in the usual beam window function defined in the previous section, describe the power spectra cross-talk induced by the scanning beam non-circularity and inter-detector beam mismatch, and are important for the high-ℓ cosmological analysis of the
- They are provided in FITS files, containing 4 extensions each:
- first one, named 'TT', contains the 9 fields: 'TT_2_TT', 'TT_2_EE', 'TT_2_BB', 'TT_2_TE', 'TT_2_TB', 'TT_2_EB', 'TT_2_ET', 'TT_2_BT', 'TT_2_BE'
describing the ℓ-dependent leakage template of TT towards TT, EE, BB, ... respectively.
TT_2_TT is the usual with
- second extension, named 'EE', contains the 9 fields 'EE_2_TT', 'EE_2_EE', 'EE_2_BB', ... for leakage of EE towards TT, EE, BB, ...
EE_2_EE is the usual
- 3rd extension: 'BB' with 'BB_2_TT', ...
BB_2_BB is the usual
- 4th extension: 'TE' with 'TE_2_TT', ...
- Beware: there is no extension #5 nor 6, corresponding to TB and EB, since these terms are unlikely to be major sources of contamination for the other spectra.
- The measured
- CTT*(ℓ) = CTT(ℓ) TT_2_TT(ℓ) + CEE(ℓ) EE_2_TT(ℓ) + CBB(ℓ) BB_2_TT(ℓ) + CTE(ℓ) TE_2_TT(ℓ)
- CEE*(ℓ) = CTT(ℓ) TT_2_EE(ℓ) + CEE(ℓ) EE_2_EE(ℓ) + CBB(ℓ) BB_2_EE(ℓ) + CTE(ℓ) TE_2_EE(ℓ)
- CBB*(ℓ) = CTT(ℓ) TT_2_BB(ℓ) + CEE(ℓ) EE_2_BB(ℓ) + CBB(ℓ) BB_2_BB(ℓ) + CTE(ℓ) TE_2_BB(ℓ)
- CTE*(ℓ) = CTT(ℓ) TT_2_TE(ℓ) + CEE(ℓ) EE_2_TE(ℓ) + CBB(ℓ) BB_2_TE(ℓ) + CTE(ℓ) TE_2_TE(ℓ)
- CET*(ℓ) = CTT(ℓ) TT_2_ET(ℓ) + CEE(ℓ) EE_2_ET(ℓ) + CBB(ℓ) BB_2_ET(ℓ) + CTE(ℓ) TE_2_ET(ℓ)
- Their availability is described in the Availability section
The beam window function products are all contained in the same directory BeamWF_HFI_R3.00, shipped in the tar ball BeamWF_HFI_R3.00.tar.gz (or BeamWF_HFI_R3.00.tar.bz)
They are systematically provided for the (co-)analysis of the
- full mission,
- half-mission1 / half-mission2, and
- even-rings / odd-rings
Those products are identified by a string of the form map1xmap2 where map1 and map2 each take the form freqtype with
- freq being the map frequency in GHz among 100, 143, 217, 353 (PSB+SWB), 353p (PSB only), 545, 857 (with freq1 freq2) and
- type being either empty (full mission map), hm1 or hm2 (for 1st and 2nd half-missions), or even or odd (for maps made of even or odd rings)
- examples of map1xmap2 values
- 143x217 (for full mission maps),
- 100hm1x353phm2 (correlation of 100GHz 1st Half mission map, with 353GHz PSB only 2nd Half mission map),
- 217oddx217odd (auto-correlation of 217GHz odd-rings map), ...
T or TEB window functions
- T only: 100 to 857GHz for full sky maps:
- TEB: 100 to 353GHz for full sky maps:
Polarized beam matrices
- 100, 143, 217 and 353 GHz, full sky maps
- 100, 143 and 217GHz, Plik-like masks
- valid for analysis done on maps masked with the Plik masks described ??
These FITS files can be read in IDL and python, as follows
- fits_info, FITSfile,extname=extname ; print list of extensions found in FITSfile, and store their names in extname
- data=mrdfits(FITSfile, 10, header) ; read extension #10 (data and header)
- data=mrdfits(FITSfile, 'ABC', header) ; read extension having EXTNAME='ABC' (data and header)
- print,header ; print header
- print,tag_names(data) ; print column names
- plot,data.(0) ; plot 1st column of binary table
- Note: this requires recent versions of fits_info, mrdfits and their supporting routines, all available at http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov .
- import astropy.io.fits as pf
- import pylab # only to produce plots
- pf.info(FITSfile) # print list of extensions found in FITSfile
- data, header = pf.getdata(FITSfile, 10, header=True) # read extension #10 (data and header)
- data, header = pf.getdata(FITSfile, 'ABC', header=True) # read extension having EXTNAME='ABC' (data and header)
- print header # print header
- print data.names # print column names
- pylab.plot( data.field(0).flatten() ) # plot 1st column of binary table
- Note: astropy.io.fits replaces the older pyfits
- same as python2, replacing print x with print (x)
- Hivon E., Mottet, S. & Ponthieu N., 2017 QuickPol: Fast calculation of effective beam matrices for CMB polarization A&A 598, A25
- Planck collaboration, 2018, Planck 2016 results. V. Legacy Power Spectra and Likelihoods
Cosmic Microwave background
(Planck) High Frequency Instrument
(Hierarchical Equal Area isoLatitude Pixelation of a sphere, <ref name="Template:Gorski2005">HEALPix: A Framework for High-Resolution Discretization and Fast Analysis of Data Distributed on the Sphere, K. M. Górski, E. Hivon, A. J. Banday, B. D. Wandelt, F. K. Hansen, M. Reinecke, M. Bartelmann, ApJ, 622, 759-771, (2005).
Flexible Image Transfer Specification